Preparing for the Gold Coast Airport Marathon
Do you love to run and are planning a visit to the Gold Coast? Why not enter the Gold Coast Airport Marathon for an experience like no other. Known as one of the fastest and flattest courses in the world, this track is also one of the most scenic as it winds past some of the Gold Coast’s most beautiful surf beaches.
And if that isn’t enough enticement, think of the perfect exercising conditions you could be running in, especially if you plan to visit during the month of July – expect to have little to no wind, low humidity and temperatures that average between 10 and 20 degrees Celsius.
While you’re there, book in to the Legends Lunch which is held on Saturday the 5th of July for a carb-loaded feast to tantalise the tastebuds. This event is hosted at the Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition centre with running advice from some of the country’s top marathon professionals, including Steve Moneghetti, Lisa Ondieki and Rob De Castella.
If the Gold Coast Airport Marathon sounds like an event you might be interested in, this advice will help you achieve peak perfection before you run.
- In the week leading up to the marathon, eat more chicken, eggs, brown rice, whole grains and lean meat to increase your carbohydrate and protein intake. Carbs create glycogen which maximises output of the muscles, allowing a person to exercise for a longer period of time.
- Two days before the marathon, cut out foods that are high in fat and eat as many carbs as possible.
- Make sure you are adequately hydrated before the event. Keep a good supply of drinks that are packed with electrolytes and glycogen, making sure that you drink a decent amount in the hours before you run. Keep your fluids up during the race with around 500 ml of fluid per hour of exercise, and remember to replace lost fluids afterwards.
- Ensure you have good quality running shoes – remember to never wear brand new shoes to a big race! Blisters are the last thing you need to worry about.
- Be familiar with the course and marathon etiquette before you run.
Whether you are a beginner or an expert on the marathon trails, are looking to improve your fastest time or want a different way to fundraise, running in the Gold Coast Airport Marathon will be an experience you’ll never forget. Book your accommodation today and enjoy some of the best running conditions in Australia.